Thoughts: Pizza Politics

⊆ 9:19 AM by A. Liebendorfer | , , , , , , , , . | ˜ 6 comments »

The life cycle is as follows: We are born, we grow throughout childhood to support ourselves; we marry and have children and launch some kind of career; then we die.  The OU life cycle works much the same way, only with the grease from cheap Athens food oiling the machine.  The synergy is uncanny.


As the first month of college wraps up and the Big Bang of the rest of our lives starts to cool, there are a lot things I would've done these past couple weeks in hindsight.  One of which would be to keep running track of every time I was offered free food.

During the welcoming ceremony for the College of Communication free food had to have been mentioned a dozen times to the audience.  If the thought had occurred to me, I would have put on the J-School Renaissance Man mask and crashed all these first meetings.  More swipes on my meal card.

(Which brings me to another point.  It's a real shame that the Regular-10 meal plan is being discontinued at the end of the year.  It's a full five hundred dollars cheaper than my Super-14 and 10 swipes is really all I need.  They need a "Super-10" so cold cut lovers like me can go and get their weekly loaf of bread and lunchmeat and waste minimal time going to a dining hall.  I find myself swiping stuff on my Super-14 that I don't really need, just to have it.  We have four rolls of paper towels and we're almost through the first half of our first.)

Back to this pizza --since it's pizza that's offered most of the time.  Very few meetings I've gone to actually have this pizza they broadcast.  I'm in training sessions for The Post but I've seriously given some thought to Backdrop.  Aside from the fact that Backdrop is technically my field, I've heard they deliver (good pun, no?) on their promises of food.  That's pure rumor mill material, but I'd be willing to turn a blind eye to the lowly, pseudo-pledging status of freshmen --another thing I've heard via grapevine-- if Backdrop was willing to cover our core needs.  It wouldn't be so bad if these meetings weren't scheduled in marathons that spanned the dining hall hours.

What we need to do is unionize.  I know full well that activities, especially journalism ones, are hard-pressed for members, really... action needs to be taken.

The time is now.


6 Responses to Thoughts: Pizza Politics

  1. Aaron Says:
    smart politics though.. pizza is good. free food is good. college kids love free food and pizza
  2. J. Williams Says:
    It may be seen as shallow and immature by others for you to switch to a pizza-providing club, but I would have no problem supporting it. I completely understand.
  3. Kendalyn Schrock Says:
    i've been to two backdrop meetings so far...sadly, no pizza. check your sources :)
  4. A. Liebendorfer Says:
    haha o, i really have a bad habit of not double checking...
  5. The A.G.B Says:
    Sorry friend, I can corroborate that there is certainly no pizza at Backdrop meetings.
  6. A. Liebendorfer Says:
    dammit! o well. im a postie now

= Leave a Reply