Impressions: The Beginning...

⊆ 9:51 PM by A. Liebendorfer | , , , , . | ˜ 3 comments »

Photobucket

Ladies and gentlemen, with much pain I regret to inform you that they days of secret diaries are over.

I wish we could still use "diary" as a namesake; the word "blog" still doesn't sit with me.  Every time I use it in conversation makes my gut gulch like I took too many trips up to the wok line.  On top of that, it just sounds like an unpleasant bowel movement, found under some section of a pepto-bismol label.

But, alas, the ball hath started rolling, and there's no way to change it now.  Not that I'm a connoisseur of secret diaries or anything, but there's a interesting phenomenon with this blogging deal.

My MySpace is starting to grow cobwebs, but back in its heyday, it was THE place to go for your daily high school angst.  Now Facebook has usurped it and the angst has all but gone away.  Occasionally I'll visit it to deny friend requests from "Sexxxy" webcam sites, but that's about it.  

MySpace blogging had some things that I really liked though.  You could type enter what was going on at the time you blogged like what you were listening to, watching, or reading.  It also had you pick a category (Automobiles, Travel, Religion, School, etc.)  And it's there that a truly interesting phenomenon cropped up:

blogging for blogging's sake.

Daydreaming, thinking out loud, marveling at the very thought of spilling your guts on free web space for God and the world to see.  Kinnen captures the very essence of being a first-time poster in this blog, and that's what drew me to it.  It almost feels like the next step in mass communication, right in the same lineage as Gutenberg's printing press.

Blogging in the past two weeks has made the world seem much smaller, too.  At Tuesday's journalism lecture, I noted how much smaller the room looked.  The school I come from has Prom Promise assemblies the size of my Journalism 101 class, but yet it was smaller than the week before.

So small, in fact, that I've been confronted with a dilemma.  What happens when you walk past somebody in REAL real life that commented your blog in not-so-real life?  I've passed a few of them and though I can't remember it, I'm sure I've given a "God Bless You" or "Excuse Me" to at some point.  So far my stance is to not be caught unsmiling but let them start the conversation.  After all, I'm not going to be the creep.  Another paradox: it's probably more creepy to realize it without saying than to "be the creeper" and say hello.

Oh, well.

What better way to express the 21st-century Net Revolution than with a little Shakespeare:

O wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is!
O brave new world
That hath such people in't!

-The Tempest
Act V, Scene i


3 Responses to Impressions: The Beginning...

  1. Anonymous Says:
    Hey, thanks.
  2. Kendalyn Schrock Says:
    why are relationships formed on the internet so awkward when they overlap into real life?
  3. Anonymous Says:
    Probably because the computer serves a kind of buffer. You don't feel like you're talking to a person, just responding to an idea that sprang to life on the page. It's wierd, mostly because it is such a new concept, relatively. Besides, you know what they say about meeting people you talk to on the internet...

= Leave a Reply