Fall Quarter '08: Images of Home

⊆ 4:05 PM by A. Liebendorfer | , , , , , . | ˜ 0 comments »

Leading up to my leaving for college and he being an empty-nester, there were times, say, when it we were coming home late and it was raining, or at sunset when we were calling it a day in the yard, that Dad would turn to me and let me know how good of a fit Athens would be for me.

It didn't take long after I came here to realize some of the things I would look back on way down the road.

Like outside Washington, with its endless green lawns and damn red oaks, throwing the football with at first my roommate and then whoever wanted to enliven the game for a couple of spare minutes. Throwing, throwing until our arms weren't sore anymore and the spirals we had back at home came back.

Or walking The Mile. Leaving State Street with the same clothes I had when I left but now a little more wrinkled, with a couple unaccounted stains, carrying a Gatorade and wearing a you-caught-me face. Stepping over half-digested Burrito Buggy burritos drying on the warming afternoon sidewalk, only able to pray I won't be next.


0 Responses to Fall Quarter '08: Images of Home

= Leave a Reply